Private Schools in Bulawayo

Falcon College near Esigodini.

Schools in developing southern African colonies were generally first established by religious and missionary organizations, before the creation of state schools.In the post-colonial era state schools formerly reserved for whites have degraded, as can be seen by the many dead pools at these schools. This drove the creation of numerous private schools, beyond state control. See the map for the location of the swimming pools and other locations.

In 1962 the Rhodesian Independent Schools Conference was formed with nine member headmasters: those of Arundel, Bishopslea and Chisipite in Salisbury. Peterhouse, Springvale which closed an re-opened as part of Peterhouse and Bernard Mizeki College are in Marandellas. Falcon College and Whitestone School are in Bulawayo. Eagle (closed in 1976) and St. Peter's Diocesan (closed in 1977). By 2015 there were 66 private schools.

All of remaining are thriving, well endowed schools that dominate aquatic sports in Zimbabwe in 2019.

Christian Brothers College

2016 - CBC swimmers in Matabeleand team.

Dominican Convent

Falcon College

Located outside Bulawayo, it is the alma mater of Olympian Brendon Ashby.

Girl's College

Petra College

Whitestone School

2019 - Matabeleland Junior Swimming Championships award winners from Whitestone.

Carmel Primary

In 1958 Carmel Primary school was established by the Jewsih community in Bulawayo. Today few Jews remain in the country, but school swimming seems to have survived at Carmel

St Thomas Aquinas Primary

St. Thomas Aquinas Primary School was founded in 1956 by the Dominican Sisters as a Catholic school for boys. In 1979 it became co-ed. The pool and trophies suggest a history of swimming at the school.

Centenary School

September 1994 Centenary Primary School opened, named after the 100th anniversary of the city of Bulawayo.

St Peters Diocesan School

St Peters Diocesan School was established in 1911, for the next 66 years it was one of the premier schools of not just Bulawayo but the then Rhodesia as well. It closed in 1977.