Transvaal 


The old Transvaal Republic became a British colony after the Boer War in 1902, and then a large province in the Union of South Africa, which was created in 1910. For sporting purposes it was broken into a number of smaller entities -  Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Transvaal. Southern Transvaal was usually just referred to as "Transvaal."

In the 1970's a sporting province known as the Vaal Triangle was created around Sasolburg, van der Bijl Park and Vereeniging.

NOTE: No maps showing the old provinces of South Africa seem to be available online, so the provincial borders used here are not entirely certain.

Transvaal towns and their schools

Southern Transvaal 


Johannesburg

The province centres around Johannesburg, which is the largest city in the country. The Ellis Park pool seen bottom left.

Roodepoort

Founded in 1904, this gold mining village includes one of the nine National Botanical Gardens. 

Bedfordview

Bedfordview

Northern Transvaal

The sporting province dates from the 1920's, originally part of Transvaal province. It covered an area that stretches in a V-shape north from Pretoria along the N1, to the Rhodesian/Zimbabwe border It also included Pietersburg, Louis Trichard, Tzaneen and other smaller centres.

Western Transvaal

The home of the Mielieboere, this province was based around Potchefstroom and Klerksdorp. Smaller platteland towns included Orkney and Lichtenburg.

Eastern Transvaal

East of Joahannesburg - all the way to the Mozambique border, lies the Eastern Transvaal. The province, including towns like Benoni, Boksburg, Springs, Witbank, Ermelo, Nelspruit and numerous smaller centres was once a powerhouse of South African water polo. It was also the home of long headquarters of SAASU, under Boksburg attorney Issy Kramer.